Thursday, January 18, 2018

Interview with Teri McMinn aka Pam from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2013)





Riley:
I’m here with the lovely Teri McMinn. Some might remember Teri from the
movie The Cellar as Sylvia or as the woman with the pickaxe in Boneboys with fellow
TCM alumni Marilyn Burns, Ed Neal, & John Dugan. But most will remember Teri as
Pam the infamous “Hook Girl” in the epic classic movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
(The original)

Hello Teri, how are you?
Teri:
Good, thanks, Riley.
Riley:
Do you feel that being from Texas as well as Paul Partain, William Vail, Ed Neal,
Jim Siedow, & Gunnar Hansen (most of his childhood) helped with adapting to the Texas
heat while filming Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Teri: 
I’m sure it helps to have encountered Texas heat prior. I know we didn’t have any
air conditioning in any of the apartments I lived in during college, so we knew about
enduring the heat very well.
Riley: 
You’ve taken some time off since appearing in TCM. I’ve seen you pop up in a
few different productions here lately. Am I to assume that the ol’ acting bug that bit you
back at the Dallas Theatre Center might be nibbling again?
Teri: 
I’ve agreed to a couple of well written scripts on Indie projects, however, as anyone
is well aware, getting funding is an entirely different story. Nothing would make me
happier than to do some more acting, or working behind the scenes, writing, producing,
I’d love to do that. I do miss it.
Riley: 
Born in Houston and also lived in Dallas and Austin. By living in California now,
how often are you able to make it back home (Texas)?
Teri:
I get back often.
Riley: 
Sometimes when actors audition for a role in a film they read for other characters
in the production. Did you read for Pam, one of the other characters, or something
completely different?
Teri:
I only auditioned for Pam. Marilyn was cast originally and in on the project from
the beginning. Tobe and Kim had been to Houston and Dallas, and the University of TX.,
and as I have been told, they had already auditioned about 500 young women for the roll
of Pam by the time I auditioned for them (in Austin). They saw my picture in the
entertainment section of the Austin American Statesman for a play I was doing with the
actor Frank Sutton (Gomer Pyle’s “Sarge”), at St Edward’s University.
Riley:
You made your first appearance at the Monster Mania horror convention back in
08. I first met you at Texas Frightmare Weekend in 09 here in Dallas. How important is
it to you to meet and interact with your fans?
Teri: 
I was completely out of the TCM loop, and horror conventions. Monster Mania was
a quick education for me, and I soon discovered fans were incredibly anxious, to meet
me, I was pretty shocked. If it weren’t for the fans I would have remained in anonymity,
I’m sure. Our TCM fans are incredibly loyal, wonderful, and have been very kind to me.
I’ve since tried to make up for my years off the radar, and have made myself available
with my personal Facebook page and added Pam, The O’riginal Chainsaw Gal this past
February.
Riley: 
I know you, Ed, Marilyn, Gunnar, and the rest of the cast have done countless
interviews about TCM and everyone pretty much knows just about all there is to know
about the movie. Can you think if there’s anything that might not be common knowledge
about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that you would be willing to share?
Teri: 
I’ve been pretty open since I ‘came out in 2008, but it’s been very interesting
hearing from some of the people I worked with in Dallas right after we wrapped, who
have contacted me over these past few years. I was doing stage work and waiting tables,
and over the years they realized that the horror film I had just completed turned out to be
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... and that I had more than a walk-on role. The ironies of
life!
Riley: 
Is there anything from TCM that you would have like to have seen added or left
out of final production?
Teri:
Yes, a couple of kissing scenes for Pam and Kirk, and Sally and Jerry would have been
helpful. Also, I think a brief scene to show we did like and care about Franklin. Its pretty
hard to see that in the film. I think it was missed, and would have added to all our
character’s development, further engaging the audience to care more about all five of us.
Some real smoochin’!!!
Riley: 
What do you think when you hear someone who truly believes after all these years,
that TCM is based on a true story?
Teri: 
It’s a SMH thing. I know we hear it all the time and all try to educate, especially the
younger generations of fans. Some are adamant it’s a true story. What can you do?
Riley: 
Did you ever see any of the other “Chainsaw” movies? If so, which one(s) did you
like/dislike? Me personally after the second one I didn’t like any of them.
Teri: 
I just thought the first one was entirely different than all the ones that followed, and
wished they had stuck to one continuing story, rather than all the different, yet similar
stories. I saw missed opportunities to strengthen the Sawyer family identity, and to
capitalize on the first film that had become a classic. It would have been interesting to use
all of the original cast (while we’re still alive!!) and include some new scenes with us
from that last day, leading up to their encounters with the family. We all looked very
much the same and would have drawn in the loyal fans to the original they loved. I prefer
my story that I wrote this year, “What Really Happened To Pam.” TCM fans have loved
it, and like the background details on each character, how they met, who they are, and
their relationships to one another that I provided. It came to me after so many fans and I
discussed the fact that the last time we see Pam, she is very much alive when she pops up
out of the freezer. Naturally, I’m partial to my stories:-) In case anyone’s interested, here
they are.
Pam Lives! - Part I


https://www.facebook.com/notes/pam-the-original-chainsaw-gal/what-really-happened-to-pam-part-i/411244449009215


Pam Lives!  - Part II
 https://www.facebook.com/notes/411254205674906/

Sally, Franklin, & Grandma and Grandpa Hardesty
A School of Delight
1951-1962
https://www.facebook.com/notes/pam-the-original-chainsaw-gal/the-hardestys-1951-1962/411257485674578
Riley: 
You also run “Trippi L.A. Tours”, which is a tour guide service you provide in the
Los Angeles area. (Details can be found at www.trippitours.com ) How did you get
started in that?
Teri:
I don’t do the Tour business anymore. It came out of the needs of all the tourists and
guests I met when I was managing Venice Beach Hotels. I do still provide a Self Tour of
LA that I literally sent thousands of people on. They loved it because i you see all of LA
and never get on a freeway. I miss it and you never know, I may just do it again!
Riley: 
How do you feel about the hobby of collecting autographs?
Teri: 
Fans seem to love collecting them, and when you realize that one day when we’re
no longer around, you understand it will be a cool thing to have. TCM is going to be
around a very long time, and generations to come will be glad to have our autographed
memorabilia. This applies to any iconic films or characters, of course.
Riley: 
If a fan wanted to obtain an authentic autograph from you, how would they go
about doing that?
I have an album of pictures on Pa’s Facebook page with information and instructions on
how to order.
Teri:
Yes, I have this album (below) for TCM fans to order.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PamTheOriginalChainsawGal/photos/?tab=album&album_id=410799265720400
I prefer all TCM, Pam, horror, blood and guts, etc go to Pam’s page.
On a side note, if Pam fans go to my personal page, that’s all Me, and I post what
interests me, art, photos, what I support and believe in, lots of different things. I keep it
horror free, and allow only the occasional Pam pic, and I do announce my appearances
there. . I don’t get too political, and I never post something to change anyone’s beliefs,
but if I find something important I’m likely to share it, but always in good taste. A few
folks have tried to start arguments or rant on my page. I tell them to stop and go to their
own page to rant. I never argue or name call on other people’s pages. I would warn
anyone: don’t expect me to change my beliefs just because they like the horror film I was
in. LOL! There are many actors/directors I admire professionally that I certainly don’t
agree with politically. Pam’s page is building nicely, and I hope everyone will go there
and give it a Like.
Riley: 
Well Teri, that’s all we have time for today. I thank you for the time you have
given me. You are truly a great person. If you want to find out more information on Teri
or buy some “Pam” merchandise, be sure to check out Pam’s Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/PamTheOriginalChainsawGal
Teri: 
Riley, that is so sweet of you. I appreciate your questions and your interest. Thank
you so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment