One of the things that I love is helping righties see the world, as much as they can, through the eyes of a left-handed person.
As I have previously said on my blog in my post, Always in my Right Mind , most things in this world operate on a simple principle: if it doesn't personally affect you, then you most likely don't think about it.
Over the years, I have had conversations with my wife about the struggles left-handed people go through in a right-hand-dominated world. Recently, she started a conversation that I have never considered before.
She asked, "I wonder how many people who claim to be ambidextrous, are truly natural lefties that at some point in their lives had some sort of negative influence to make them also righties."
Before you say, that doesn't happen anymore, I'll stop you right there: Yes, it absolutely does. From right-biased school environments to subtle cultural corrections, left-handers are still pressured to adapt every single day.
Think about it. Many lefties are "ambidextrous" purely because society forced them to be. We didn't choose to use our right hand for doors, a computer mouse, or school desks—we just wanted to survive the day.
It often starts with what I call the "Subconscious" Correction. While teachers may no longer physically tie a child's left hand behind their back, a right-handed parent unconsciously placing a spoon or pencil into their toddler's right hand is a form of subtle programming.
This forced adaptation requires real, measurable brainpower, too. Neuroscientists have found that when a natural lefty is converted to use their right hand, their brain has to work significantly harder. Certain regions have to exert extra effort to process movements that should be automatic, effectively forcing the brain to create complex workarounds just to navigate right-handed tools.
What we praise as "ambidextrous" might often just be a lefty who has spent a lifetime exerting extra mental energy to mask their true dominance, all to get by in a world that wasn't built for them.
Be safe everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment